Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Preface

So originally, I selfishly wrote this before my party last week because I figured people would most likely be asking me the same questions all night. I ended up forgetting to bring it, and it ended up not being that big of deal anyways. But for those of you who are curious as to what I'll be doing over there , here's a synopsis.

Where I’m goin - Benin. It’s a country in Sub-Saharan Africa just east of Nigeria on the western coast. it is the most peaceful and arguably most stable country in West Africa, so don’t worry about civil uprisings or anything. They are cool. Check out the screen shot for a picture. Here's the BBC article. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/country_profiles/1064527.stm

What I'm doing at the beginning -- I’ll be spending the first 9 weeks of my time there in Cotonou and Porto Novo, which are the two largest cities in Benin. This time is known as “stage”, which will consist of training in language, culture, job orientation, and bike riding (I’m not kidding). It’ll be about 7 hours a day. I’ll be living with a Beninese family which will feed me and give me a bed.In return, I’ll help them with chores around the house as well as bring a little gift. I chose the slap chop but it showed up a little late so they will get Uno, a soccer ball and pump, and some colored pens. I know I sound cheap with my gift giving here, but apparently these are things that are really admired by the Beninese people according to my Peace Corps guide.

What about when stage is over? - After my nine weeks in stage, I’ll be sworn in as a Peace Corps Volunteer on July 25th, strangely enough the day that my dad retires. After I’m sworn in, I’ll head to my post which will most likely be in the suburbs of one of the cities futher north, but it also could be in the rural parts of the country.

What will you do at your post? – I will be in the Small Enterprise Development Program as an Organizational Development Advisor. Though my job isn’t very specific yet, here’s an idea of what I’ll be doing:

-Helping artisans and tradesmen to organize their business by helping with accounting and marketing

-Helping micro finance banks to educate citizens on the opportunity to take out a small loan

-Helping their still developing tourism industry to build its rapport and create viable tourism destinations

-Secondary duties of all Peace Corps volunteers include educating people on HIV/AIDS prevention

Do you get vacation? – Yes, 5 weeks a year. I’ll probably be back once a year for 2 weeks, but I'm pretty sure that I don't get to leave for at least a year, so if you want to see me, come and visit...yo.

Have you got your shots? - Yes, the Peace Corps is really serious about all their volunteers being ready for service mentally and physically, so don't go worrying about me and diseases, I'm as healthy as a horse (maybe a little overweight).

How long is your service? - 27 months

Are you nervous? - Ya, but also really excited! It's a change, but change is never something that people deal with easily. But after talking to a friend of mine who worked in Zambia for over a year, he reminded me that they are just like me, maybe with a few differences, and I'll be surprised at how normal the experience feels.


How can we contact you? My email is the best way (rich.pasquesi@gmail.com) as I don't have WI-FI all the time, but I'll be on Skype, my skype name is richard.pasquesi , so feel free to add me on there. Finally, when I get a cell phone, I'll post the number. If you really need to get in touch with me, just call me!

Thanks so much to all my friends and family for your love and support. I wouldn't be able to do this without you! Please stay in touch and feel free to send me any questions that you might have!

Love,

Rich


PS- If there is anyone else you know that might want to get this blog, please pass it on to them. God Bless!


Map of Benin

No comments:

Post a Comment