Thursday, July 23, 2009

Pre-Stage and Philly


Hey everyone! Well the last day has been great. I've met a bunch of incredible people and learned more about the challenge that lies ahead. Right now I'm at the Philadelphia Airport, and after plugging into the outlets, I finally found one with power!

Yesterday we were the last group getting in, but we still managed to check in alright without missing anything. We got some free time last night, as well as a $140 debit card, so we all went to the nicest restaurants and had a fun time out afterward. I had an interesting conversation with some guys in the special forces too and they gave me some useful tips on how to deal with folks in 3rd world countries. I was told to kinda be respectful and firm with how I run things because if I start off looking soft, it will be a lot difficult to get people's respect. They have an interesting insight as they are green berets and in charge of training foreign armies to fight. Were both kind of doing the same thing, except I'm training people to run their business responsibly and efficiently...no guns.

Today we got some free time and some friends and I walked around Philly just seeing the sights.

The airport was pretty nerve wracking. We were allowed 23 kilos per bag, 2 bag max. My 2 were under at 22 each, but my carry on was 21.5...yikes. One of the girls had some extra space though so we packed my books into her bags and left my sleeping pad and shoes on the floor for me to come pickup later so the security guy wouldn't catch us. Sneaky maneuver, but I justify it because I know that our average weight per person will be alright. Now I'm just using the internet that I got off of using my student ID, so to all you younger kids out there, never throw that thing away, you can use it forever.

So far things are incredible, and it's great to finally meet some people who understand what I've been going through the past few months and with whom I'll be able to share my struggles and accomplishments in the years to come. I have a feeling that I'll have some really great friendships (duh) that come out of this one.

Thanks to everyone for your support and love, and if there's anything I can pray for you for, just let me know! Thanks!

-Rich

Prayer request: Safe travels and getting through customs with as little stress as possible, and that my French improves quickly!

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh...Rich! Bon Voyage! So excited for you as your adventure begins! This blog will be great - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I am not sure how you got my email address but was pleasantly surprised to look at your blog and em excited to follow your experience. I recently just graduated from college and have been looking into the Peace Corps and actually studied abroad in Benin, Africa for three weeks in college. I look forward to hear about your experiences and will continue to apply for the Peace Corps. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rich! I know you are going to have an amazing time in Benin and I am looking forward to reading your blog. I just returned from 2 months in Botswana studying public health and am missing Africa already. You will be in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete